With winter here and many more cold days ahead take a moment to beware of the Silent Killer – Carbon Monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas resulting from the incomplete combustion of hydrocarbon fuels.
Here are a few tips that will help in keeping you safe:
- Use accredited professionals to install gas appliances and service them every 2 years to ensure that no gas can leak.
- Never tamper with air vents on gas heaters.
- Never use external gas heaters in enclosed areas.
- Install a CO alarm in the house.
- Learn how to recognise CO poisoning.
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are:
- dull headache
- difficulty breathing
If you breathe in large amounts on CO, your body will begin to replace the oxygen in your blood with CO. When this occurs, you can become unconscious. Death may occur in these cases.
You should go to the hospital right away if you’ve been exposed to a source of CO, even if you don’t show symptoms of CO poisoning.