In the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, a dangerous trend is emerging whereby people are ignoring their existing health issues. As the ABC reports:
Australians are delaying lifesaving medical tests, as they heed the message to “stay at home” to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
With the potential of this isolation to continue more than a few weeks, if not months it is vital that we all take care of our normal health too.
While the entire medical world is focusing on reducing the spread of the virus, there has been less attention given to the well-being of the unaffected population. We all need to take care of our health and especially take charge of our mental well-being and not overlook the consequences of this social isolation on us.
Don’t neglect your health
It is a concern that many people are ignoring their health and possibly not seeking medical help during this pandemic. It is important to seek help from GPs who are the best first point of contact for your health issues. If you are already using medications, it is important to continue with your medications and visit your local doctor for referrals or prescriptions.
It would also be a bad idea to neglect your back pain or neck pain due to spending most of your time at home or even forgetting your necessary flu shots. Even neglecting simple health issues like headaches, fatigue, skin allergies can take a heavy toll on your normal day to day life. These simple issues can cause stress that can lead to major health conditions. So neglecting your health is a bad idea, and the best way to deal with it is to seek help from a doctor.
Safety measure at our medical centre.
To help our doctors and staff as well all our patients, we have placed a range of safety measures to protect and provide a safe environment for our medical services. At our centre:
- All our doctors, staff members, and all visiting patients are screened before they enter our facility.
- We have implemented telehealth appointments via video or phone. We use Zoom for our video consultation which is free to download. You can also read our blog on how to use Zoom here.
- To ensure your safety, all our staff members and doctors are in uniform or scrubs and wear appropriate PPE where necessary.
- All patients are asked to wait in their car or in the car park (weather permitting). In cold weather, we allow patients into the waiting room with social distancing measures in place.
- We have all social distancing practices at our facility and we take extra care on following them.
It could be understandable to notice that people would fear to visit their local GPs but many centers like us now have telehealth facilities to provide you assistance remotely. We are also committed to our safety steps and keep providing our services to all patients. If you have any concerns or want to know more about what measures are in place please call our friendly staff on 03 9527 4355. You can also check our new post on what we are doing on our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/InkermanMedicalGroup/.