What is ear-suction?
Now our doctors are using an advanced technology equipment to remove the ear wax or foreign objects. It is called micro-suction ear cleaning. It provides a water-free alternative to removing earwax by sucking it out via a gentle suction.
How long does it take?
Approximately 15-30 minutes
Is it painful?
Ear-suction can be noisy and you may feel some mild discomfort. If you experience any pain or dizziness, you should let your doctor know and the process can be stopped immediately.
What you need to do
Before your next appointment, you need to use Ear Clear or Olive-oil twice a day for 4 days prior to the appointment N.B: Please discontinue drops if ears become irritated or painful).
Direction for use
- Tilt head to one side or lie on your side.
- Place 5 drops in the ear.
- Keep head tilted for several minutes before turning to the other side.
- Put a piece of cotton wool in the outer ear to keep oil from leaking out
- Repeat the same procedure on the other ear.
Cost of procedure
The out of pocket cost to you ranged between $50 and $20 for pensioners.
Ear wax management
- See your doctor at least once every year for your micro-suction cleaning.
- Use ear drops every 2-3 months
- Use a hair dryer for a few minutes on low 30cm from ear after showering or swimming, to dry ears.
- If you wear hearing aids, ensure your ears are dry prior to inserting hearing aids into the ear.
Things that you should avoid
Do not use ear drops if you are suffering a perforated ear.
Do not insert ear buds or other objects in ears.